Subject: Re: GLJ Editor Responds to Conspiracy Theories

From: Mike Godwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 14:54:32 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote:

> Actually, the first thing I asked Philip Elmer-DeWitt was for a copy of
> the study (this when he called me for comment on its conclusions). He told
> me that the Law Journal had embargoed the study, and that Time had agreed
> to that as part of its exclusive. I believed him (and still do, for that
                                    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
> matter), but offered to agree myself to any nondisclosure conditions,
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
> asking Philip to vouch for me with the GLJ and/or anyone else. Nothing
> came of my offer.

I should clarify/correct this statement. What I was trying to say was
that I believed Philip to be telling the truth as he knew it when he told
me the GLJ had embargoed the study. 

On the issue of whether it was Rimm or the GLJ that had insisted on (what
amounted to) an embargo, I have believed it was Rimm ever since the first
week or so of my own investigation into the chain of events.

--Mike