Subject: Marty Declines Invitation, Stays at Home

From: D B McCullagh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 10:23:55 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday evening the Carnegie museum had an anniversary bash, with live
jazz, society guests, catered eats, and such. I thought Marty should get
out of the house and enjoy the weekend, so I asked him to join me, saying
we won't talk cyberporn all evening. 
 
He declined, saying: "Good investigator that you are, perhaps you care to
speculate why." 
 
I am inconsolable.

My mail to him read in part:
 
  You can talk about suing MIT, cry how unfair it was for TPP to revoke
  funding, and go to past and present ACLU attorneys for legal help. You can
  look for a job -- and look back on the good times you had with Carolyn in
  the Macintosh cluster.
 
  You can complain about the hassles of finding another apartment. You can
  complain that CMU pushed you into the limelight and insisted that you go
  public. You can complain to your friends that you never wrote the
  Pornographer's Handbook and that your critics invented the idea that you
  did. You can complain that it wasn't fair for your critics to dig up your
  high school experiences, which weren't relevant to current research. You
  can cry "witchhunt."
 
  Let's go out Friday night. I recommend The Carnegie's gala this evening,
  with live jazz, open galleries, appetizers and drinks. It's my treat, and we
  won't talk cyberporn.
 
  Should I pick you up around 6 or 7?

The day before, Marty had sent me the attached email after I posted Mike's
"Who's Using Who" to an internal CMU newsgroup with a copy to Marty.

-Declan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:17:51 -0400 (EDT)
 From: Martin Rimm <[email-masked]>
 To: D B McCullagh <[email-masked]>
 Subject: Re: Marty Rimm in Bed With Anti-Porn Groups
 
 Tell me somehing, Declan, given that it turned out that your plagiarism
 story was patently false, what else do you think is false? What do you
 think I am really guilty of, vs. what do you think is pure witchhunt?
 
 Marty
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 18:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
 From: D B McCullagh <[email-masked]>
 To: Martin Rimm <[email-masked]>
 Subject: Re: Marty Rimm in Bed With Anti-Porn Groups
 
 Marty,
 
 Rather than list all my opinions on this, permit me to say that I believe
 Mike's posts to be true and correct.
 
 I am interested in what you consider to be a witchhunt. I'm also
 interested in how you've been treated by our mutual friends in the provost
 and student affairs offices.
 
 Yours very truly,
 
 Declan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------