Subject: Re: Reader response (fwd)

From: D B McCullagh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 10:53:52 -0700 (PDT)

The Fall 1995 issue of Carnegie Mellon magazine, a glossy alumni
publication, featured a fatuous interview with Lisa Siegel, an alumna and
one of the now-infamous Internet green card spamming attorneys. She
recently published her "How to make a fortune on the Information
Superhighway" book and is trying to promote it. (It apparently received a
completely unflattering review in the latest Scientific American.)

In the interview, Siegel moaned about being flamed on the 'net and 
supported CMU's Usenet "dirty pictures" censorship last fall, sparked by 
the Rimm study. (She was proud of CMU for taking those so-necessary steps.)

Mark Dallara and a few other people posted Ann Curran's (mag editor's)
letters-to-the-editor email address to a couple Usenet newsgroups, which
prompted the following reply. 

-Declan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 08:30:24 -0500
From: Mark Dallara <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Reader response

>Sorry, I don't play the game of living up to YOUR expectations. I
>consider your actions vicious and reprehensible under any system of
>ethics.
>
>
>Ann Curran, Editor
>Carnegie Mellon Magazine
>Carnegie Mellon University
>Bramer House
>Pittsburgh, Pa. 15213-3890
>Phone: 412-268-2132
>Fax: 412-268-6929
>[email-masked]

Sorry, but you've missed the point entirely.  

If you consider criticism to be "vicious and reprehensible", then you're in 
the wrong job.  And let me remind you that YOUR MAGAZINE published your 
email address as the proper one for responses and letters to the editor.  

If you don't want honest feedback, you can always choose to not publish a 
fax number, email address, and snailmail address for responses, but that 
would be analagous to sticking your head in the sand.

I offered candid criticism of the article, and encouraged others to do the 
same.  Deal with it.
--
Mark Dallara                    | Finger <[email-masked]> for
Graduate Student                | PGP public key.
Biomedical Engineering          | 
University of Memphis           | Public Key Fingerprint:
* Florida '93, Memphis '95 *    |                33 54 17 8C 07 DF CE F9
aka "Beast" on the iFrag Server |                3B 15 B1 FE B4 17 87 DD
http://www.mecca.org/BME/STUDENTS/mdallara.html
--