Subject: Rimm Fallout Last November

From: D B McCullagh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 14:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

I've attached a post from Erik Altmann, a computer science graduate
student, and the response from Marty Rimm. 

Bill Arms, the CMU VP who wrote the university's Usenet censorship policy
in October based on Rimm's study, had already tendered his resignation. (I
remember him telling me in November that he wanted the dirty pictures
removed 'cause he was afraid of being locked up unless they were yanked.)

Was he a convenient fall guy or the administration's censor? You decide.
In either case, the administration knew the details of Rimm's research 
last November. But now they're conveniently claiming ignorance.

-Declan

---

From: Erik Altmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: The new bboard policy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 94 12:00:30 EST

Bill Arms formulated the new bboard policy without consulting a
lawyer.  He has been trying to censor "smut" from the bboards here for
several years, but has consistently been voted down by opponents of
censorship (mostly faculty).  The to-be-released porn study, which
appears to have merit, more-or-less accidentally provided him with
means.  He was able to conjure a scenario in which CMU could get sued,
however remote the chance.  CMU's lawyers, in their professional
capacity, were forced to agree.  I have seen Bill Arms act to
intimidate people who have asked hard questions about his projects,
and I believe him quite capable of launching CMU into uncharted legal
territory as a net censor to achieve his own goals.  People like Erwin
Steinberg are the ones taking the fall, and to hear them talk they're
not having an easy time of it.

The above is based on:
. Talking to a lawyer to got Bill Arms on the phone, to whom Arms
  admitted that he consulted no one in formulating the new policy.
. Talking to one of the faculty who worked on internet porn study, who
  is also familiar with Bill Arms.
. The comments of others involved with the study, and also apparently
  familiar with Bill Arms.
. Having observed Bill Arms in action first hand, on a separate issue.
. Having listened to Dr Steinberg on WRCT.

The issue is simpler than local policy hacks would have it (they seem
to be trained to bury larger questions in technicalities).  But the
issue is also gravely more complicated, as actual lawyers and indeed
the entire internet community will testify.

Erik Altmann

-------------
From: Martin Rimm <[email-masked]>
To: Erik Altmann <[email-masked]>
Cc:  
Subject: Re: The new bboard policy
Date: Sat,  5 Nov 1994 13:17:42 -0500 (EST)

You're statements were on the right track.

Martin