Last Updated Thu Mar 13 10:42:59 PDT 2003
Files in this Archive
- Washington (state) governor vetoed this bill, which
targets online material deemed "harmful to minors". Senate Bill 5466 was
vetoed May 1995. State legislature has threatened to try to over-ride
the veto, but has not done so, to our knowledge, as of June 1996.
BEWARE! This bill or something like it will probably be back in
late 1996 or in 1997, perhaps targeting material "obscene as to minors"
or "indecent" (or some other meaningless, undefined "term of art" that
targets Constitutionally-protected expression). Bill was re-introduced
as SB6079, and nearly passed again. Unlike many of the various net
censorship laws, this one was an attempt to replace an already existing
state law on sexually explicit material, that had been ruled
unconstitutional. (Version of text here is that sent to governor
for veto, by both Houses. Original date of introduction of first version
was in Jan. 1995.)
- history of the above bill.
- rollcall of votes on the above bill
- State legislator Chappell responds with
clarifications to the _Cook_Report_ article on SB5466 (a version of
which is below, wa_sb5466_95_cook.analysis)
- A journalistic analysis of the bill above
(draft article for the _Cook_Report_)
- Statement of CPSR/Seattle against SB5466,
calling it unconstitional, and pointing out that it holds system
operators liable for the actions of users.
- amendment to SB5466 sponsored by state
Sen. Finkbeiner, et al. Clarifies a few terms and lists a few more
exceptions to what's defined as "harmful to minors" (e.g. pictures of
"the female breast" [what other kind is there? Men generally don't have
breast last I looked...] feeding an infant, and of course
state-controlled sex-ed materials.
- summary of the above bill, and very brief
summary of testimony, from the state Senate.
- new version of the bill that was passed then vetoed as
SB5466. This version did not pass, but it was a close call. It was
reintroduced in an effort to override the governor's veto.
Subdirectories in This Archive
- Up to the Parent Directory
- directory of outdated and/or historical-interest material.
Related On-Site Resources
- [no Related On-Site Resources]
Links to Related Off-Site Resources
- [no Related Off-Site Resources]